THE MISSION OF AF&R PEER SUPPORT
To actively promote behavioral health and wellness among AF&R members and their families by listening, supporting, referring & assisting them during times of stress or crisis.
- To support the overall mission of Anaheim Fire & Rescue by striving to keep the workforce at its best.
- To provide excellent resources, education and care for our members.
- To better manage stress resulting from exposure to traumatic events (which is an inherent part of our job)
- To stay connected with members who are separated by injury.
- To lead change in the fire service culture; to eliminate stigma and promote the benefits of behavioral health
- Servant’s Attitude
What Peer Support Is
- Someone who will listen
- Someone who will be honest with you
- Someone you can trust
- Someone who understands the unique challenges of our job
- An avenue to face problems head-on
- A place where you can find the help you need to stay in the game
(building strength and resilience for continued service)
What Peer Support Is NOT
- A place to camp out and avoid your problems
- Someone to agree with you when you’re wrong
- A way to place blame and avoid personal responsibility
- A place for weak people who don’t want to improve their situation
(Facing your problems-being vulnerable is not a weakness. It is a great strength-and the straightest path to positive change)